I sit here in my pjs...Karsten in bed...Brian, Mom, and Dad watching the Aggies attempt to play football, not looking good, way to pull out a win Ags! This is how I like to spend New Years Eve...at home, with my loved ones, time spent reflecting on the year coming to a close.
In one word, 2013 seems like a blur to me....it was a great year, I seriously have no complaints, but I don't feel that I lived my days with enough intention. I think a part of this probably has to do with being a Mom of a toddler, returning to working full time, trying to find balance between work life and home life, and not setting off my year with enough focus for the personal growth I desired.
2014 will be different.
I spent several hours this past weekend (mostly while riding in the car to San Antonio) with my journal, pen, and hopes for the new year. I had my word FOCUS chosen around Thanksgiving, but I wanted to figure out exactly what I was needing to focus on....otherwise just choosing a word doesn't have the power to change my life like it has in the past.
Here are my Four Focuses for 2014. At the beginning of each day as I sip my coffee and read my Bible I hope to allow God to focus me on each area that He wants to work on for that day. I could look at these somewhat lofty goals and panic that it's too much to do, too much work, too many goals, but if I take it a day at a time, with His leading I hope to look back on 2014 with a feeling of satisfaction of a year well lived.
- memorize a new Scripture twice a month (and share it here on the blog)
- always make sure I'm working through an in depth Bible Study (oh, how I've missed this in my life)
- set aside time once a month to meet with my accountablility partner
- spend time serving in my church
- focus on praying over the big and little things in my life and the lives of my loved ones
Family and Friends
- focus on spending intentional time with Karsten and Brian each day
- make time to send birthday cards and thinking of you cards to friends and family
- take a mini vacation with Brian to celebrate our 12th anniversary in March
- take a family vacation in the summer
- set aside time to call and catch up with friends every few weeks
- celebrate with two of my favorite girls who are getting married to their loves in 2014!!!
Fitness and Food
- begin walking a minimum of 20-30 minutes 4 times a week
- find and implement a quick stretching routine every morning
- drink more water
- take my vitamins every day
- reduce refined sugar and flour in my diet
- vegetarian dinners twice a week
- making a weekly meal plan (and sharing it here on my blog)
Filling My Tank
- capture more everyday moments
- keep my closet organized
- keep my office and planner organized
- make a to do list every evening for the next day and then ask God each morning to help me accomplish what He has for me that day
- continue documenting our lives through Project Life
- scheduling time to be creative whether by myself or with friends
- being more consistent with blogging (I've actually set up a schedule for blog posts that I can hopefully stick to)
This is the 7th year I've chosen a word of the year and it is truly one of my favorite things I do each year. I encourage you to do the same and then share with me. Click each year to see my previous words...and to look at how much my blog style and photograhphy have changed! I'll have a Scripture printable up and ready tomorrow.
Happy New Year!!!!